Alfa Laval S-separators 928–988
S and P Flex separation system
Alfa Laval’s S and P Flex separation systems combine the high efficiency, low sludge output and low operating cost of Alfa Laval centrifugal separators with a flexible scope of supply. Extensive possibilities for the separation system layout and assembly make it possible to suit any engine room and any oil separation application.
In addition, S and P Flex separation systems feature the EPC 60 controller, which enables the intuitive navigation of menus, parameters and alarms. The EPC 60 controller also has a modular construction for easy I/O board addition and replacement.
The S and P Flex separation concept includes the complete S- and P-separator range. These can be combined in mixed ship sets, even within a single customer-specified module.
S-separators are based on Alcap technology, which means they automatically adjust the oil/water interphase based on the water content in the clean oil outlet. This makes them particularly suitable for separating heavy fuel oils with varying density, though they can be used to clean all of the following:
- Heavy fuel oils with densities up to 1 010 kg/m3 and viscosities up to 700 cSt/50°C (higher viscosities available upon request)
- Lubricating oils
- Lighter diesel oils
S-separators are designed for automatic operation in periodically unmanned engine rooms at sea and in
automated power stations ashore.
Scope of supply
The S and P Flex separation concept provides a wide range of alternatives for S-separators. Depending on the need, a S-separator can be supplied as a separator and ancillaries, as a customer-specified module, or as part of a comprehensive package including services and orderspecific documentation.
S separators 928–988
According to the prevailing ISO 8217 fuel standard for marine heavy fuel oils, the maximum allowable content of catalytic fines in bunkered fuel is 60 ppm. However, engine builders require that these levels be reduced by the separators to a maximum of 10 to 15 ppm before fuel is fed to the engine. S-separators 928–988 fulfil the CFR standard test and can ensure the reduction of cat fines to safe levels thereby safeguarding the ship engine.
A S-separator with ancillaries in the form of optimized block components provides full say over the use of space. This allows for local modularization or do-it-yourself assembly.
A compact S-separator module can be built to a customerspecified configuration from a wide range of modular skids and machine blocks. Multi-modules are possible, as well as mixed modules including one or more S-separators and/or P-separators for the simultaneous treatment of different types of mineral oils. All Flex modules are factory tested to ensure faster start-up and commissioning.
Features and benefits
- Small footprint, high flexibility. The small separator and the modular nature of the surrounding components allow easy installation and flexible positioning in the engine room.
- Alcap technology. A water transducer in the clean oil outlet automatically adjusts the oil/water interphase to maximize separation performance.
- Maximum separation efficiency. An optimized design ensures the best possible separation efficiency from the bowl and disc stack.
- CentriShoot. The CentriShoot discharge system greatly reduces sludge volumes. Its fixed discharge slide flexes gently to expose the discharge ports, thereby eliminating metal-to-metal wear.
- CentriLock. The CentriLock bowl-locking system uses a lightweight, non-threaded snap ring. This prevents wear by allowing easy removal without a sledgehammer.
- Long service intervals. Wear-preventing features like CentriShoot and CentriLock reduce the consumption of spare parts and allow planned maintenance to be performed less often. This reduces operating costs.
- Certified Separation Performance. The S-separators 928–988 are tested and certified according to the CFR standard test established in the CEN Workshop Agreement CWA 15375.
Easy operation and service. The PLC based EPC 60 controller is designed for “one-button” starts and stops, as well as intuitive menu navigation. Information about parameters and alarms can be easily accessed, which simplifies both operation and troubleshooting. The EPC 60 also has a modular construction that enables faster troubleshooting and I/O board replacement.
Remote control and monitoring. Using Ethernet or Bus communication, Flex systems and modules based on S-separators 928–988 can be operated and supervised remotely from the control room. A variety of alarm functions are available as standard, and extra I/O boards can be added to the EPC 60 controller in order to enhance its operating and monitoring capabilities.